Evolutionary Innovation Viewed as Novel Physical Phenomena and Hierarchical Systems Building

Evolutionary Innovation Viewed as Novel Physical Phenomena
and Hierarchical Systems Building

Tim Taylor

Independent Researcher
Department of Data Science and AI, Monash University
tim@tim-taylor.com

In previous work I proposed a framework for thinking about open-ended evolution (Taylor, 2019). The framework characterised the basic processes required for Darwinian evolution as: (1) the generation of a phenotype from a genetic description; (2) the evaluation of that phenotype; and (3) the reproduction with variation of successful genotypephenotypes. My treatment emphasized the potential influence of the biotic and abiotic environment, and of the laws of physics/chemistry, on each of these processes. I demonstrated the conditions under which these processes can allow for ongoing exploration of a space of possible phenotypes (which I labelled exploratory open-endedness). However, these processes by themselves cannot expand the space of possible phenotypes and therefore cannot account for the more interesting and unexpected kinds of evolutionary innovation (such as those I labelled expansive and transformational open-endedness).

URL